I am concerned about recent events at our schools involving the use of over the counter and prescription drugs by young children. Yesterday, the district experienced a third case in two weeks in which a child ingested a potentially harmful substance. We have been fortunate that in each case the children were not harmed. As parents, you must recognize that the next ingestion could be lethal, and we must act to keep our children safe from potentially deadly ingestions. Even over the counter drugs can be poisonous when taken in quantity or mixed with other substances. Please talk to your children about the dangers of taking anything that was not prescribed by a doctor or given by you personally. And please make sure that you keep all prescription and non-prescription medicine out of the reach of children.
Steven J. Lana, MD MBA FAAP Medical Director Buffalo Public Schools